THE ANÚNA INTERNATIONAL SUMMER SCHOOL 2018
The 6th Anúna International Summer School, Tuesday 05 – Saturday 09 June 2018 (inclusive), Dublin, Ireland
We are delighted to announce the initial details of the 6th Anuna International Summer School and are now accepting applications. The five days of the School take place in Dublin and involve interaction and performance under the supervision of Artistic Director and Composer Michael McGlynn and members of Anúna.
Anúna has gained international recognition as one of the world's most original vocal ensembles. It is renowned for its mesmerising sound and atmospheric stage performance. The annual Summer School engages participants in a multi-disciplinary approach that includes the musical, literary and historical traditions of Ireland. While this unique approach is applicable to choral, ensemble and solo singers, it is also strongly relevant to the work of conductors, teachers, composers and musicologists.
The Schedule for 2018 includes :
- Participation in a performance/presentation with ANÚNA. Delegates will be required to learn a set number of pieces from the Anúna repertoire which will be sent out in advance with pronunciation guides if applicable.
- A day trip to the world-renowned Wexford Opera House that includes a full workshop on the stage of this beautiful venue.
- Small group and sectional workshops focusing on Anúna's unique performance practices.
- Strong emphasis on the use of Irish traditional singing (sean nós), the Irish language and traditional arts.
- Analysis and discussion on the compositions of Michael McGlynn.
Practical Information :
- The School will take place primarily around St Stephen's Green, Dublin - right in Dublin city centre.
- Successful participants in the School will be required to sign a video/photo waiver.
- Delegates can be aged from 13 years upwards. Under 18s travelling from overseas must be accompanied by an adult/guardian). Parents/guardians of under 18s will be required to complete and sign a parental/guardian consent form.
COMMENTS FROM PREVIOUS ATTENDEES
I feel like a new singing world is opening ahead of me and my choir, since so many new experiences, techniques and ways of working are possible. José Manuel Martínez Sánchez (Spain)
I wasn't expecting to be so moved or touched coming into this...I saw a new perspective and was exposed to a new philosophy about what a choir could be. Jason Watt (USA)
This short but meaningful time has affected me in ways unimaginable, and I am filled with energy from it that I will carry with me into my musical work. Salome Rebello (India)
I can't describe my deep emotion. It was amazing. Rintaro Kimura (Japan)
Very very proud to be a part of this family... Berke Erat (Turkey)
...the energy of 50 people singing together, breathing together, reaching out to each other, paying attention and giving themselves to the music – I can’t find words to explain the profoundness and power of my feelings. Keren Kroczyk (Israel)
The music was starting to infuse itself into my soul and the fear and anxiety I felt before I got to Ireland was quickly washed away. Maria Cecili-Crust (USA)